California Occupational License
Department of Consumer Affairs
Board of Barbering and Cosmetology
Licensing Agency Contact Information:
|Address:||2420 Del Paso Road, Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95834
|Phone Number:||(800) 952-5210
|Fax Number:||(916) 575-7280
License Requirements, Fees, and Examination Information:
Fees: Initial fee of $125 includes examination and licensing costs; Renewal: $50.
Examination Frequency: Every Monday and Thursday, as needed.
Exam Locations: Los Angeles and Fairfield.
Experience Requirement: Barber exam candidates must:
(1) Be at least 17 years of age;
(2) Complete the 10th grade in a California public school or its equivalent; and
(3) Meet one of the following:
(a) Completed a course in barbering from a school approved by the board;
(b) Completed an apprenticeship program in barbering approved by the bureau;
(c) Practiced barbering out-of-state for a period of time equivalent to the study and training of a qualified person licensed by the board. (Each three months of practice shall be deemed the equivalent of 100 hours of training)
(d) Completed a cosmetology course in a school approved by the board and complete a barber crossover course in a school approved by the board;
(e) Hold a cosmetologist license in California and has completed a barber crossover course in a school approved by the board; or
(f) Completed comparable military training as documented by submission of Verification of Military Experience and Training (V-MET) records.
Average Time to Process Application: 8-12 weeks.
Renewal Period: Every two (2) years.
Special License Requirements: The board may deny a license on the grounds that the applicant has one of the following:
(1) Been convicted of a crime;
(2) Done any act involving dishonesty, fraud or deceit with the intent to substantially benefit himself or another or substantially injure another; or
(3) Done any act, which if done by a licentiate of the business or profession in question, would be grounds for suspension or revocation of license.
The board may deny a license if the crime or act is substantially related to the qualifications or functions.
Authority: Business and Professions Code, Chapter 10, Division 3
|Occupation Title||SOC Code|