California Occupational License
Department of Insurance
Surplus Lines Broker
Producer Licensing Bureau
Licensing Agency Contact Information:
License Requirements, Fees, and Examination Information:
||320 Capitol Mall
Sacramento, CA 95814 - 4309
| Phone Number:
| Fax Number:
| Internet Address:
A Surplus Lines Broker is a person who places insurance with non-admitted insurers, covering risks other than aircraft and certain marine and transportation risks.•
Occupations To Which This License Applies:
• Minimum Age: 18 years
• Residency: California residency is not required
• Experience: Must hold a Property Broker-Agent and Casualty Broker-Agent license in resident state
• Entity Types: Individual and Business Entity
• Fees: Individual Application: $588 for Surplus line brokers who are only transacting on behalf of a licensed surplus line broker business entity; $1,178 for brokers who do not only transact on behalf of a surplus line broker business entity.
• Organization application: $1,178 (two-year term)
• Renewal: $534 or $1,178 as noted above for two-year term.
• Fingerprint processing fee: None
• Experience Requirement: Must hold active Property Broker-Agent and Casualty Broker-Agent
• Average Time to Process Application: two to three weeks
• Renewal Period: Two-year license term
Special License Requirements: Surplus line brokers who are only transacting on behalf of a licensed surplus line broker business entity are not required to file a $50,000 surplus line broker bond. All other surplus line brokers must comply with the $50,000 bond requirement.
Applicants must file the following forms: Surplus Line and/or Special Lines' Surplus Line Certification, Form LIC-050; Business Entity Endorsement, Form 411-8A.
For more information on this license type us this URL: https://www.insurance.ca.gov/0200-industry/0050-renew-license/0200-requirements/special-lines-surplus.cfm.
Authorization: Section 1761of the California Insurance Code.
|Occupation Title||SOC Code
|Insurance Sales Agents ||413021 |