California Occupational License
Department of Consumer Affairs
Board of Barbering and Cosmetology
Licensing Agency Contact Information:
License Requirements, Fees, and Examination Information:
||2420 Del Paso Road, Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95834
| Phone Number:
| Fax Number:
| E-mail Address:
| Internet Address:
Persons offering manicuring (nail care) services for payment.
Occupations To Which This License Applies:
Fees: Initial fee of $110 includes examination and licensing costs; Renewal: $50.
Examination Frequency: Monday - Friday.
Exam Locations: Los Angeles and Fairfield.
Experience Requirement: Manicurist exam candidates must:
(1) Be at least 17 years of age;
(2) Complete the 10th grade in California public schools or its equivalent; and
(3) Meet one of the following:
(a) Completed a course in nail care from a school approved by the board; or
(b) Practiced manicuring out-of-state for a period of time equivalent to the study and training of a qualified person licensed by the board. (Each three months of practice shall be deemed the equivalent of 100 hours of training)
Average Time to Process Application: 8-12 weeks.
Renewal Period: Every two (2) years.
Special License Requirements: The board may deny a license on the grounds that the applicant has one of the following:
(1) Been convicted of a crime;
(2) Done any act involving dishonesty, fraud or deceit with the intent to substantially benefit himself or another or substantially injure another; or
(3) Done any act which if done by a licentiate of the business or profession in question, would be grounds for suspension or revocation of license.
The board may deny a license if the crime or act is substantially related to the qualifications, functions or duties of the business or profession for which application is made. (Section 480, Division 1.5 of the Business and Professions Code)
Comments: Fee must be paid each time an exam is taken.
Authority: Business and Professions Code, Chapter 10, Division 3.
|Occupation Title||SOC Code
|Manicurists and Pedicurists ||395092 |