California Occupational License
Department of Consumer Affairs
Board of Barbering and Cosmetology
Licensing Agency Contact Information:
License Requirements, Fees, and Examination Information:
||2420 Del Paso Road, Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95834
| Phone Number:
| Fax Number:
| E-mail Address:
| Internet Address:
Persons offering electrology services for payment.
Occupations To Which This License Applies:
Fees: Initial fee of $125 includes examination and licensing costs. Renewal: $50.
Examination Frequency: Monday and Friday, as needed.
Exam Locations: Los Angeles and Fairfield.
Experience Requirement: Electrologist exam candidates must:
(1) Be at least 17 years of age;
(2) Complete the 12th grade or an accredited senior high school course of study in a California public school or its equivalent; and
(3) Meet one of the following:
(a) Completed a course of training in electrolysis from a school approved by the bureau; or
(b) Practiced electrolysis out-of-state for a period of time equivalent to the study and training of a qualified person licensed by the bureau. (Each three months of practice shall be deemed the equivalent of 100 hours of training.)
Average Time to Process Application: 8-12 weeks.
Renewal Period: Every two (2) years.
Special License Requirements: The board may deny a license on the grounds that the applicant has one of the following:
(1) Been convicted of a crime;
(2) Done any act involving dishonesty, fraud or deceit with the intent to substantially benefit himself or another or substantially injure another; or
(3) Done any act which if done by a licentiate of the business or profession in question, would be grounds for suspension or revocation of license.
The board may deny a license if the crime or act is substantially related to the qualifications, functions or duties of the business or profession for which application is made. (Section 480, Division 1.5 of the Business and Professions Code)
Comments: Fee must be paid each time an exam is taken.
Authority: Business and Professions Code, Chapter 10, Division 3.
|Occupation Title||SOC Code
|Hairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists ||395012 |