Skip to Main Content
Employment Development Department
Employment Development Department
email this articles/publicationsEmailPrinter Friendly versionPrinter VersionMost Popular Most Popularfind related articles/publicationsRelated Info

Private Sector Employees Dominate California's Workforce

Private employers account for the vast majority (97.5 percent) of California's 1.2 million business establishments and employ 84.2 percent of the State's workforce.  Federal, State and local government employ the remaining 15.8 percent of the State's workforce.  The majority of these workers (11.3 percent) work for the local government which is comprised of city and county agencies.

Table of 'Type of California Employer' for 2nd Quarter of 2005

More California employment and wage data are produced by the Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages (QCEW) Program.  QCEW Program data, a compilation of employment and wage data, are published by the State of California Labor Market Information Division.  These data are available online by:

  • Year, month, and quarter.
  • Type of business industry.
  • Geographic area (United States, California, or specific California county).
  • Business sector (Government or Private).
To access California's QCEW Program data

Ratings: Would you recommend this Article?
Not At All  1 -   2 -   3 -   4 -   5 - Highly
Average Ratings: 2.9, Total 2688 Votes