Information for the License:

Hazardous Substance Removal and Remedial Actions Certification

Licensing Agency:

Agency or Department Name:  Department of Consumer Affairs
Board or Council Name:  Contractors State License Board
Division Name: License Information Center
Telephone:  (800) 321-2752
Agency Web Address:

License Description:
     (Always confirm this information with the licensing agency.)

All contractors/builders must be licensed by the Contractors State License Board in order to perform work in California. All licensed contractors/builders who perform hazardous substance removal work at specific sites and/or who bid for the installation or removal of, or who install or remove, underground storage tanks, must hold the Hazardous Substance Removal and Remedial Actions Certification (Class Code HAZ). Only the current qualifier on a license may apply for the certification.

Required Form: Application for Hazardous Substance Removal and Remedial Actions Certification
Application Fee: $75
Prequalification: Must hold one of the following contactor licenses: 
A General Engineering, B General Building, C-12 Earthwork and Paving, 
C-36 Plumbing, C-57 Well Drilling, or C-61/D-40 Limited Specialty Category for Service Station Equipment and Maintenance (no longer being issued). (Reference: Business and Professions (B&P) Code Section 7058.7)
Experience Requirement: None
Exam Requirement: Trade exam
Exam Frequency: Computerized exams given daily at 8 sites throughout the state.
Re-exam Fee: $60
Fingerprinting required if not previously completed.

Comments: The Board's publication "Building Your Career as a Licensed Contractor", study guides, license applications, etc. can be found on the Contractors State License Board's Web site at

Authority: Business and Professions Code, Section 7000 et seq.
California Code of Regulations, Title 16, Section 810 et seq.