Information for the License:

Qualified Applicator License

Licensing Agency:

Agency or Department Name:  Department of Pesticide Regulation
Board or Council Name:  Licensing and Certification Program
Division Name:
Telephone:  (916) 445-4038
Agency Web Address:

License Description:
     (Always confirm this information with the licensing agency.)

Any person who supervises the pest control operations of a license Pest Control Business. This is the primary purpose of the license. It may also be used for a licensed Maintenance Gardener Pest Control Business, however, the Qualified Applicator Certificate would be more appropriate. This license can also be utilized by any person who uses or supervises the use of federally restricted use pesticides or state restricted materials for any purpose or on any property other than that provided by the definition of private applicator.

Application: $80
Exam: $50
Renewal: $60 per year

Examination Frequency:  Every month, except for January, November, and December.

Exam Locations: Sacramento, Salinas, Arcadia, Temecula, Visalia, Oxnard, Fontana.

Experience Requirement: N/A

Average Time to Process Application: 30 days.

Renewal Period: Biennially (every second year).

Special License Requirements: An applicant for the Qualified Applicator License must pass the Laws and Regulations Examination plus at least one of the following sixteen license categories to become licensed: 
A -Residential, Industrial, Institutional 
B - Landscape Maintenance 
C - Right-of-way 
D - Plant Agriculture 
E - Forest 
F - Aquatic 
G - Regulatory 
H - Seed Treatment 
I - Animal Agriculture 
J - Demonstration and Research 
K - Health Related 
L - Wood Preservative 
M - Antifouling Paints (Tributyltin) 
N - Sewer Line Root Control  
O - Field Fumigation
P - Microbial Pest Control

Special License Requirements: Each Qualified Applicator licensee must obtain 20 hours of approved continuing education during each two-year license period. Four of the 20 hours must cover the topic of pesticide and pest control laws and regulations.

Authority: Food and Agricultural Code, Section 11701, 12201, 12202; California Code of Regulations, Section 6000.2(a)(b)(c), 6404, 6511-6514.